Aug 24, 2009

From the Classroom Year 2 vol. 1

Two weeks into the school year and I finally have my sea legs under me. This is Mike Melvin and once again I will be contributing some of my classroom experiences to the blog.

I had a great eight week break and I even thought about econ a little bit. The highlight of the summer was my trip to Germany on the Goethe Institut's Transatlantic Outreach Program (TOP).

I, along with fifteen other educators from the states, were guests of the Institut in such beautiful places as Berlin, historic Quedlinburg, tasty tasty Nuremberg and modern Frankfurt am Main.

While I failed in my attempt to eat at least one sausage per day, there were plenty of historical sites to see each day, as the purpose of the trip was to expose American educators to modern Germany.

At the Institut's website you can find information on the program as well as the application process. In addition, you can order materials for your classroom no matter what grade level you teach.

I highly recommend this program to all social studies educators and would like to thank the Goethe Institut, the Robert Bosch Foundation and Deutsche Bank for an opportunity of a lifetime.