May 23, 2009

A Clean Sheet

Quick, name an American vehicle manufacturer that is booming right now. Still cranking out rides and turning a profit without asking for a government bailout. Can't think of any? I'll give you a clue. The vehicles produced by this company have a top speed of 9 mph and each one costs around $75,000. Still baffled? Maybe these Gear Daddies song lyrics will help-

Now the manager said Son, I know it looks keen, But that right theres one expensive machine And I got Smokey whos been driving for years About that time I broke down in tears
Cuz I wanna drive the Zamboni

Hey I wanna drive the Zamboni


Sure, they may be a bit boxy and they don't exactly handle like a Porsche, but a good Zamboni will last for decades. The Zamboni family has found their niche and are doing very well thank you very much. Proof that a vehicle manufacturer can make a profit in this country. Maybe Ford and GM should look to the Zamboni's for guidance and direction. A business model of not building it until you have a buyer sounds so crazy it just might work.