Mar 4, 2009

County by County

If you look at just one interactive unemployment map today please make it this one. If I was still in the classroom I would project this thing nice and big with my LCD projector. I would then locate the county where my students lived. Next I would compare my county rates to surrounding county rates. I would then click on the counties that have the highest unemployment rates in the country (I'm looking at you Imperial County!) and ask my students to explain why certain areas have higher rates of unemployment than others.

Another cool thing I would do would be to compare current unemployment rates with the rates from one year ago. How much have the rates changed? Why have some areas been hit harder than others. And on and on and on...

This may be one of the coolest interactive maps I have seen in a long time. Let me know what your students think.